In 1860 he owned a saddle shop and later owned a butcher shop managed for a few years by J. J. Hatley. Working in the saddle shop for a few years were Robert Hoy and R. Dissette who took over the business in 1871 and operated it as Dissette and Hoy until 1886 when Dissette sold to his partner. Robert Hoy continued to expand the business located at 98 Mississaga Street East, manufacturing every variety of harnesses, saddles, collars, bridles and whips. Robert Hoy died in 1898 and his widow carried on business for the next six years under the capable management of Mosses Boyd. Mosses had worked in the saddle business since coming to Orillia from Port Hope in 1873 and purchased the business from Mrs. Hoy in 1904. Mosses Boyd is seen on the left in front of the Hoy shop in this undated photo. The other four men wearing leather aprons are unknown.
Photo provided by the Orillia Museum of Art and History.